Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Power of One Special Molecule


No one really puts that much thought to one single molecule. Maybe its time to take one molecule - in particular - more seriously. The chemical messenger “oxytocin” has been scientifically proven to act as the headquarters of our morals. Oxytocin seems to be the chemical elixir that builds bonds of trust in your everyday life. This little molecule explains why some of us are nicer, generous, or more intimate.
Oxytocin is firstly known as a female reproductive hormone. Even though it is responsible for contractions during labor, it is also responsible for that really nice and comforting feeling you get when you are getting a massage, or even something as simple as a hug.
Multiple scientific studies have been done with oxytocin. The findings show that he or she who is given high does of oxytocin become more generous and caring, even with complete strangers. Don’t worry though! There are many other ways to become more caring than shooting oxytocin into your system. It’s quite simple! For instance, you just have to show someone a form of trust. Like a hug or lending money to someone. In return, the person being trusted experiences a surge in oxytocin that makes them more content. However, it does have some flaws. From experience, you know that giving someone a hug doesn’t instantly make you a more genuine person. What it does is it helps balance our behavior based on trust and distrust. It points you in the direction of social openness. Who knew that one single molecule could play such a big role in our everyday lives.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304811304577365782995320366.html?mod=wsj_share_tweet

3 comments:

  1. This is so interesting! I knew oxytocin was a female reproductive hormone, but I had no idea that it also controlled trust. I think we would all be a little better off with a little extra oxytocin if this is true! I would say that your suggestions of lending money to someone could be potentially dangerous because the person could steal the money. I could definitely give an extra few hugs a day though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i thought this was really cool! I didn't know that there was a chemical behind trust and intimacy. It's an interesting branch of science because we may not be as in control of our emotions as we think, if there are actually hormones that are influencing us without our knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer in August 2010. A valuable friend told me about Dr. Itua Herbal Center in West Africa. She gave me her phone number and email address. I quickly contacted him to guarantee that his herbal medicines will heal my cancer and I will heal forever I said OK.I ask him what is the healing process, he asks me to pay the fees I did and within 7 working days he sent me the herbal medicine and then he asked me I told my friend Gomez about the herbal drug so that he gave me to go and drink it.So after drinking for two weeks, I was cured, I am so grateful and I promise that I will do it I recommend to anyone who has cancer and that that I am doing. Herbal medicine Dr. Itua makes me believe that there is hope for people with Parkinson's disease, schizophrenia, scoliosis, bladder cancer, colorectal cancer, breast cancer, kidney cancer. , Leukemia, lung cancer, skin cancer, uterine cancer, prostate cancer Fibromyalgia,
    Fibrodysplasia Syndrome, Epilepsy,Sclerosis sickness, Dupuytren's Disease, Diabetes, Celiac Disease, Angiopathy, Ataxia, Arthritis, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, Alzheimer's Disease, Lupus, Adrenocortic Carcinoma.Asthma, Allergic Diseases.HIV Help, Bladder cancer,Brain cancer,
    ?Esophageal cancer,?Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,?Hodgkin lymphoma
    ?Intestinal cancer,Liver cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,?Multiple myeloma,?Neuroendocrine tumors
    Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,Cervical Cancer,Oral cancer,Ovarian cancer,?Sinus cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer
    ,Testicular cancer,Throat cancer,Thyroid Cancer,?Vaginal cancer,?Vulvar cancer
    HIV Aids, Herpes, Disease Chronic inflammatory, Memory disorder,
    Here is his contact information ...... [Email ... drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com. Whatsapp ... + 2348149277967]

    ReplyDelete